a. Find a place that is high profile (e.g. lots traffic, pedestrians).
b. Become familiar with the city's rules pertaining to noise and crowds.
c. Send out press releases before the fact, announce the event.
(i.e. local papers, radio shows, local news, internet news--see below MEDIA COVERAGE)
3. Law Enforcement
a. Read police conduct manual, find out what they can and cannot do to you.
b. Always have a pen & paper ready to record the officer's names and write
down their actions & words as a precaution for evidence in court.
c. ALWAYS! Be as courteous as possible to officers so they have no other
reason to cite or arrest you.
d. If you are arrested, do not resist. Go limp & make them carry you. Makes for
great photo op and press. Also goes to show the public how very strongly you
feel for the cause.
a. If people call names, ignore them. If you must answer for some reason,
don't use profanity or low blows. Here are some examples of constructive
-"Yell facts, not names!"
- " Come back and argue your point if it is valid!"
- "A true intellect wouldn't walk away from his argument!"
Sometimes, you will have people
in your faces. When this happens, just smile
and continue holding your sign. Just think of it as a tactic that makes you
stronger. It may hurt you inside, but to show these folks that it affects you
would be letting them win.
HAVE A PRESS KIT!! (which includes):
a. A Bio on the leader and/or the organization.
b. A statement of purpose and/or quotes the writer can use in their article.
c. A B&W photo of the leader, org., patients (for med. mj), etc.
these materials in hand, the reporter is much more likely to include your
statements, images, etc. Moreover, since the statements are put together
in advance, you run less of a risk of saying something inaccurately in
the excitement of a direct action.
d. Write letters to the editor of the local paper, call local radio talk shows,
papers, online mags & new sources.
1. "WE ARE CITIZENS, NOT SUBJECTS!!"
2. "THE DRUG WAR IS A LIE!!"
3. "THE FOUNDING FATHERS, ARE TURNING IN THEIR GRAVES!"
4. "FROM KEYSTONE STATE, TO PRISON STATE"(use your state's nickname instead of Keystone)
5. "GROW MARIJUANA PLANTS, NOT NUCLEAR ONES!"
6. "IMPRISONMENT FOR GARDENING IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL!!"
7. "WHERE HAVE YOU HIDDEN OUR REPUBLIC???"
8. "DON'T PANIC, IT's ORGANIC!"
9. "MY URINE, MY BUSINESS!"
10. "LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE JAILED!"
11. "GOOD WEED, BAD LAW"
12. "COMPASSION, NOT COMPLACENCY!"
13. "NO POT, NO PEACE
KNOW POT, KNOW PEACE"
14. "BE FREED, SMOKE WEED"
15. "IN DEFIANCE WE STAND!"
16. "BOYCOTT URINE TESTING COMPANIES!"
17. "SCHOOLS NOT PRISONS!"
Got suggestions, comments, anything?
Please email Diane Fornbacher